10 Reasons to Hire a Movement Coach
1. MOTIVATION: Personal trainers wear many hats, serving not only as a coach, but also as an educator, confidant, role model, guide and a major source of motivation and encouragement.
2. CONSISTENCY: Do you find it difficult to stick to your fitness program? Scheduling regular appointments with a personal trainer helps eliminate any excuses you come up with for not exercising. Results come from planning, executing, recording, measuring, and assessing what you do, and a personal trainer helps you do all this.
3. SAFETY: Are you unsure about how to use the equipment at your gym or how to perform walking lunges without hurting your knees? A personal trainer will show you how to exercise safely (including which exercises to avoid), and instruct you on the proper and safe use of exercise equipment.
4. INDIVIDUALIZED INSTRUCTION: An exercise program that works for one person may not work for another. Personal trainers develop the most effective program for you based on evaluation results and personal goals. Personal trainers observe, assist, and, if necessary, correct as needed. A good coach will address the non-physical (mental and emotional) aspects of training with the same importance as the training program itself. It’s important to find someone who coaches the person, not the program!
5. EFFECTIVE WORKOUTS: Today’s hectic lifestyles mean you don’t have time to waste on ineffective exercise routines. Personal trainers help maximize your time by providing workouts designed to meet your goals quickly and efficiently. Program and exercise application is an art. It requires skill and expertise. Working with a coach will help you INCREASE and IMPLEMENT your “know how” and “do how.”
6. SPORTS-SPECIFIC TRAINING: Many amateur and professional athletes work with a personal trainer during the off-season to prepare themselves for in-season competition. Whether you want to shave some strokes off your golf score or beat your brother-in-law at tennis, personal trainers can tailor your program to your sport of choice.
7. INJURY REHABILITATION: Injuries and accidents can prevent you from participating in your favorite activities. Personal trainers, however, can make the road to recovery a smooth one by recommending exercises that emphasize proper movement to prevent future injuries.
8. SPECIAL-NEEDS TRAINING: Research confirms that individuals with health challenges such as diabetes, asthma, osteoporosis or heart disease benefit greatly from regular physical activity. These conditions, however, can make exercising safely a challenge. Personal trainers have a wealth of ideas about your specific concerns. They are experienced in designing programs that address the special needs of these and other conditions.
9. EGO BOOST: It’s a fact – feeling good makes you look good, and vice versa. Not only can a personal trainer help you achieve your health and fitness goals, they provide you with positive feedback on your performance and bolster your confidence to take on new challenges.
10. MAKING CONTINUOUS PROGRESS: Are you working hard, but not working smart? Progress often comes from working under the tutelage of a pro, a trained eye with knowledge and expertise. Often the lack of progress corresponds to the lack of using a personal trainer.