Who doesn’t want more energy? But it’s never about just MORE, is it? We want our energy to come from the healthiest sources possible providing a dynamic combination of more and better. That’s a real win!
Not all “healthy” foods are truly beneficial to your health. And if you’re like me, you take a more holistic perspective when it comes to health and seeking alternative healthier choices for energy. Taking a more natural approach to personal health and fitness is the way to go.
Five Natural Energizers
Try some of these natural energizers to improve energy, focus, and your overall health:
1. Pairing fruit with protein. Fruit has natural fructose, not sugar, that helps provide energy without spiking your blood sugar. Protein helps you feel full longer. Having apple slices with peanut butter (one of my favorite couplings) or a cheese stick with a handful of nuts will hold you over much better than a bag of chips or sugary sweets in the middle of the afternoon.
2. Fruits or veggies with high water content. Fatigue is one of the first signs of dehydration. Most people do not drink enough water each day. Supplementing with foods that are high in water content can help bridge that gap to help you stay hydrated and prevent fatigue. Cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, and orange colored fruits such as tangerines, nectarines, oranges, and clementine varieties all contain high water content to keep you hydrated. If you feel like you need to add something to make it denser, you can pair the veggies with hummus and add Greek yogurt to the fruits.
3. Pomegranate seeds. Pomegranates have high levels of antioxidants that help fight off inflammation and give your immune system a boost. Having a strong immune system ensures that illnesses are kept to a minimum. It also helps your body fight off the side effects of emotional and environmental stress.
4. Yoga and breathing exercises. Stress can have a significant negative impact on your energy levels. Being able to naturally deal with stress using exercises and breathing techniques can help decrease your stress and increase your energy. Yoga and breathing exercises also help with mindfulness, motivation, focus, and overall wellness.
5. Chia seeds. Chia seeds are high in omega fatty acids that help with focus, concentration, and have been linked to healthier blood flow with decreased internal inflammation. Chia seeds mix well in a variety of healthy foods such as oatmeal, smoothies, soups, and salads.
Small changes in dietary habits can have a huge impact on your personal health and fitness. Upgrading your energy sources to five such as these make it easier to approach the upcoming new year with a health and energy improvement plan already in place.
Until next month, keep taking steps to find more Joyinmovement and better energy all day long!